<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Operation Iraqi Freedom

My Time

Saturday, April 10, 2004

Hey everyone. Yes I am alive and yes I am well. I'm terribly sorry that it's been so long since I've written but it's been really really bad around here. But I will get to that later. First thing's first. I'm going to catch you all up. I guess with where I left off. Sunday was a day to remember a little, but for little stupid reasons. We finally got our place and Sunday was the first day we got off. So we went out, got all the wood that we brought over from the states and started building us some rooms. Now I'm no carpenter, but I have to say I did a decent job for my first time. I've seen it done plenty of times. But at least now I do know that you don't want me coming to your house to fix anything. But that's besides the point. Anyway, we spent hours getting the rooms up. I got mine cut and finished in about 2 hours I guess, then I helped a friend with his. After all of that, 1SG comes in and makes us tear them all down. So there goes our walls. We spent our entire day building and getting really excited that we were going to have our own rooms, and just like that...SMASH. No more rooms. That ticked us off for a couple of days but it was something that we had to deal with I guess.

So all of that seemed important until about Monday. Monday we started getting hit...hard. Mortars, rockets, you name it it got thrown over the wire. We even saw some small arms fire over at the post office. Small arms fire is regular gun fire from handguns, AK-47, or any other kind of rifle or small gun. The gun fire was so close that the guy that was driving the truck with our mail on it said he saw the dust fly up where the bullets hit. I know that's nothing compared to what most of the Marines are going through right now, but it's the closest thing I've seen so far. So we were getting hit about 4 times a day. We had some casualties around the base (3, I think) and so they shut down all outgoing communication. It blackout is still going on, the only reason I get to update now is because of my unit historian postition. Therefore I need to inform you all that no one in our company was hurt for any of their family members that read this. So today is Saturday and I only heard a couple of mortars today, but they are still going. They aren't letting any of the Iraqi workers on the base right now, and we all have to walk around in our K-pots and bullet proof vests EVERYWHERE we go. That stuff will get you in shape in a heart beat...it's heavy. So now tomorrow is our second day off and believe me, I'm not doing anything. I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

I'd like for you all to remember the soldiers here and in the other cities here in Iraq that are getting attacked very heavy right now and keep us in your prayers. It's a pretty scary time right now...at least it's the most action we've seen since I got here, and we'd like no more casualties. Again I want to warn you that we are still in the blackout, so if you don't read anything for a while after this, don't be alarmed. I will get back to you when I can. Thank you for your support and God bless you all.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?