Operation Iraqi Freedom

My Time

Friday, October 22, 2004

Hey everyone. So I woke up this morning to extremely loud explosions that seemed to be right outside my door. I jumped up, put on my gear and ran outside to get into the bunker. As I got outside, I saw that everyone else was acting normal, and that’s when they informed me that they were merely controlled blasts. The smoke from it was huge, so I guess they were blowing up something big. Needless to say, I was wide awake after that. On my day off too. Oh well.

I also neglected to mention the explosion that I'm sure you all heard about on the news a couple days ago. It was an IED explosion right outside the gate. One of our soldiers was in the guard tower right in front of the explosion. He didn't get injured at all except the blast kind of threw him to the ground and rained his tower post with schrapnel. But he was guarded by sand bags etc. So that was a positive note. Unfortunately two (I think it was two) soldiers were killed in the blast. So please keep their families in your prayers.

On a better note, a random reader wrote me and offered to send me and my friends some coffee. He runs a coffee shop and offer to send us some of his selection. So I would like to publically thank this individual for his generosity.

We lost another softball game. Frankly, we're not very good. But I'll stick to my "I don't care 'cause I'm having fun" story.

We had a couple more people go to the range today and qualify. I was jealous of these guys because they got to shoot M-60's and AK 47's. They also had MP 5's out there, but they didn't start shooting them until our guys were leaving. So no one got to shoot those. But it sounded very cool anyway, and I'm mad that I didn't get to shoot anything like that.

Oh well. I got the last two days off of guard duty because my workers had to drive to Najaf to see their families. But I have to go back tomorrow. Fun Fun.

SSG Byrd sent us an update a little while back and said he was doing fine. And we lost another one of our soldiers, SPC Wright had to go to Germany for some surgery also, but then was sent home to have the surgery. So keep him in your prayers also. Neither surgery was an injury due to fighting or anything.

Well, I guess that's it. I love you guys and hope you're all doing well. E-mail me sometime and I'll get back to you when I can. God bless and thank you so much for your prayers and support. Peace.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?