Operation Iraqi Freedom

My Time

Saturday, October 30, 2004

Hey everyone. Sorry it's been a couple days since I've written, but the internet went down in the trailer and I've been working late so I've been too lazy to come down to the lab. But here I am and I wanted everyone to know that everything's been ok.

We've played two softball games since I last wrote. We finally won ONE. I emphasize one because we got embarrassed the other game. But I'm willing to admit that one of those innings was my fault. I made a couple boo boos.

Not much has happened as far as attacks that I know of. I know we went to the bone yard (I'll explain in a minute) and there was a firefight going on about half a mile or so. A firefight is a gun battle, not a building on fire. I don't think anyone was hurt though, or at least I never heard of anyone getting hurt.

I'm still doing guard duty during the days, and it looks like I'm going to be there for a while. But it's about to change a little bit so I'll be going back and forth between guard duty and the motorpool. No biggie. It's an easy job...sit there and watch the guy.

Ok, now to the bone yard. The bone yard is where they drop vehicles that have been blown up, and people come to scavenge parts off of them. We really don't have a main bone yard here in Iraq, but we have a small one here in Taji.

Once we heard about it, we went and let me tell you, there was some crazy stuff there. There was a tank that was practically ashes. 5 or so HumV's that were toasted. You could see the bullet holes in the glass, or where the bullets hit. It was all armored glass, so it didn't go through. That was another cool site.

In one of the tanks, you could see where it got hit by a rocket. The rocket penetrated the first layer of armor, but barely put a dent in the second one. Pretty cool to see. We got all that we needed, but they went back today and another HumV got dropped off that was completely ashes. They said that the truck got his by a rocket, caught it on fire, and the heat cooked off the rocket launcher that they had inside. Luckily, the AT-4 rocket launcher has to do so many rotations before it'll explode on impact, so it just went through glass. They said that no one died in the attack, and that made it a lot cooler to look at.

Well, I guess that's it. I know it's a lot, but I had makeup to do. I hope you all are doing well, and I thank you all for your prayers and support. God bless.

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?